Search This Blog

Friday, December 13, 2013

The Windows At Wesley : In Honor of Rev. David Guy Murray (1859-1916)

"Gethsemane". Photo by Phil Davis, c1988 WUMC, OKC
In the southern transept of the English Gothic sanctuary dedicated in May of 1928, below the balcony are a collection of four tall, narrow story windows donated by various people.
The window "Gethsemane" was donated by Mrs. D.G. (Belle Cloyd) Murray and Family to honor her late husband the Rev. David Guy Murray (b.1859, Ill). 

Murray had been a minister in the Methodist Episcopal Church, North.  In 1907, he was appointed District Superintendent of the churches in Oklahoma City and served in that capacity until 1913.  At the time of his death in 1916, he was a field representative for the Methodist Hospital in Guthrie, Oklahoma.
In 1928, when the window was installed by his family the design was probably chosen by the family, as several others indicated they chose scenes and sometimes colors. 
He left many friends, churches, and his family to mourn his passing. His children included: Rose C., Lee C., Grace E., Lois, Harold G., Merrill, and Richard C.
He was loved by many and among his pallbearers was a pastor of Wesley, H.C. Case.  He was buried in Fairlawn Cemetery in Oklahoma City.

Two books provide important verifications of this information: Oklahoma Methodism in the Twentieth Century by Clegg and Oden (1968) and Story of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Oklahoma by Brill (1939).  Brill's work includes a biography.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Become a Friend of Wesley

A special "Friends of Wesley" group is made of individuals, organizations, and businesses who wish to support the historic preservation of the century old and historically significant Wesley Methodist Church (Wesley United Methodist Church) founded in 1910.

The inspiring windows dating to 1928 honored people significant to local Oklahoma City history but also to the history of Oklahoma Methodism.

The church founding and development was guided by lay people who were leaders in Oklahoma City development in real estate, banking, business, and education.

It stands as a rare remaining example of Methodist Churches in the English Gothic style and as work by a significant early architectural firm.

Donations may be sent to:

Church Treasurer
Wesley United Methodist Church
1401 NW 25th
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma