Search This Blog


The style of the 1928 sanctuary mirrored the architecture of the nearby denominational school, Oklahoma City University, and was called Collegiate Gothic, a style popular for academic and religious structures from the late 1800's to the early decades of the 20th century. Pastor, Dr. William Forney Hovis is said to have devised the original plan of the sanctuary and the architectural firm of  Leonard H. Bailey   formalized them.   Bailey had come to Oklahoma in 1903 and became junior partner in the firm building the Overholser Mansion.
His firm would be responsible for creating landmark structures in Oklahoma City and elsewhere:

The contractors were H.M. House and Company; Fred Cornish, carpenter foreman ; Emmit Collins, brick foreman;  the plaster work was done by F.B.Vanhorn, Oklahoma City.  The roof was made of John Manville Asbestos Shingles, furnished by the Bearly Lumber Company, and laid by the Standard Roofing Company of Oklahoma City.  The steel work was furnished by the J.B. Klein Company, Oklahoma City.  The stonework was done by the Harter Marblecrete Company, Oklahoma City. The hardware was purchased from W.J. Pettee Hardware Company, Oklahoma City. The carpet was laid by the Harbour-Longmire Company.  The baptismal font was made by the Tibbs-Dorsey Company, Oklahoma City. The cherubs and ornamental plaster was the work of the Oklahoma Concrete and Plaster Products Company, 32 East 23rd Street, Oklahoma City, Ok. The lighting fixtures were installed by the Oklahoma Electrical Supply Company.  The stained glass windows were made by the Kansas City Stained Glass Works, Inc.  The pews and pulpit furniture were built by the Manitowoc Furniture Company, Waukesha, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Become a Friend of Wesley

A special "Friends of Wesley" group is made of individuals, organizations, and businesses who wish to support the historic preservation of the century old and historically significant Wesley Methodist Church (Wesley United Methodist Church) founded in 1910.

The inspiring windows dating to 1928 honored people significant to local Oklahoma City history but also to the history of Oklahoma Methodism.

The church founding and development was guided by lay people who were leaders in Oklahoma City development in real estate, banking, business, and education.

It stands as a rare remaining example of Methodist Churches in the English Gothic style and as work by a significant early architectural firm.

Donations may be sent to:

Church Treasurer
Wesley United Methodist Church
1401 NW 25th
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma