Search This Blog

Thursday, February 13, 2014


It is believed this list was put together by Mrs. Ruhl Potts around 1947 and is the most complete and detailed of any early lists found.

M. Smith, Trustee
Mr. H.B. Turner, Sunday Supt., Trustee , Nov. 10, 1910 (Nov. 12 - It is not clear which date as both are used with the 10 and the 12 overlapping, the 1947 program has a history by C.S. McCreight and identifies the date as Nov.12,1910)
Mrs.. H.B. Turner, Steward, Nov. 10, 1910 (Nov. 12 - It is not clear which date)
Edwin Stephenson, Trustee,  " "
Mr.. R.E. Bradshaw, Steward, Trustee, ""
Dr. L.B. Boggs, Class Leader, ""
A.H. Tyler, Trustee, ""
A.G. Paul, Trustee, ""
A.C. McCullough, Steward, ""
Mrs.. A. H. Tyler, Steward, Feb. 1911
Thomas Mylrea, Trustee, March 1911
Olin E. Doty, Steward, April 1911
Joseph B. Thoburn, Trustee, Aug.8, 1911
Noah B. Wickham, Trustee, Aug.9, 1911
Clifford M. Prichard, Steward, Aug. 8, 1911
Genevive Spriggs, Steward, Aug.8, 1911
L.D. Mitchell, Trustee (Pres. Epworth League), Aug. 8, 1911
H.H. Martz, Trustee, Aug.8, 1911
R.A. Lyle, Trustee, 1913
Charles Haggart, Trustee, 1913
John Embry, Trustee, 1913
L.T. Huffman, Trustee, 1913
B.F. Nihart, Trustee, 1913
John McCullough, Steward, 1913
Eugene Nida, Steward and District Steward, 1913
Mrs. R.A. Lyle, Steward,1913
A.P. Mossman, Steward, 1913
Mrs. C.F. Crane, Steward, 1913

In June of 1911, Epworth University disbanded and the members of the Methodist Episcopal Church were transferred to Wesley while members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South organized into Epworth Methodist Episcopal Church, South in 1911.

This infused Wesley with many new members, stretching the limits of their temporary and rented location on NW 32 and Military. The new group sought and found new and permanent property at NW 25 and Douglas, just west of Classen Blvd. quickly becoming a major thoroughfare in the city.

In 1915 membership was 200 and Sunday School was 150.  In 1947, the membership had grown to more than 2,500 members.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Become a Friend of Wesley

A special "Friends of Wesley" group is made of individuals, organizations, and businesses who wish to support the historic preservation of the century old and historically significant Wesley Methodist Church (Wesley United Methodist Church) founded in 1910.

The inspiring windows dating to 1928 honored people significant to local Oklahoma City history but also to the history of Oklahoma Methodism.

The church founding and development was guided by lay people who were leaders in Oklahoma City development in real estate, banking, business, and education.

It stands as a rare remaining example of Methodist Churches in the English Gothic style and as work by a significant early architectural firm.

Donations may be sent to:

Church Treasurer
Wesley United Methodist Church
1401 NW 25th
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma