|Oklahoma Digital Collection|
The Triangle at NW 25 and Classen Blvd and the later landscaping all were evidence of the same generous spirit that supported the early Epworth University effort. To see an excellent historical overview of Classen Blvd. which fronts Wesley on the east, see this page.
Now, through research of this blog, it has been discovered that there was more than mere civic support behind his gifts. While searching through early membership rolls it was found that the brother of Anton H. Classen was a member of Wesley Methodist Church.
John Randolph Classen, his wife Nysa and daughter Ruth J., while living at 1512 W 30th Street united with the church on June 8, 1919. The pastor at that time was Dr. Dean C. Dutton.
Also, it has been discovered that other relatives were also members of Wesley. Anton's father had been a member of the German Methodist Church of Oklahoma City. There was a daughter there as well named Anna Helena Sophia Classen Wahl. The Wahls and several of their children's families were active members of Wesley (The McBride family and McAlister family). [See entries on the Wahl's elsewhere on this blog]
In the dedication program of May 1928 it reads: "Between the church building and Classen Boulevard in the foreground to the east is a triangular plot of ground which was given to the church by Mrs. Anton Classen and her late husband. Mrs. Classen has provided a plan prepared by Hare and Hare, landscape architects of Kansas City, Mo., and will park the triangle according to the plan, thus providing an ideal setting for this beautiful Temple of God."(pg.16)