"Wesley Methodist - Twenty-first street and Classen boulevard the Rev. S.E. Betts, pastor. Sunday school at 10 a.m., Junior League at 3 p.m. Epworth League at 7 p.m. Preaching services at 11 a.m. and 8 p.m." (Oklahoman, June 2, 1912)34. The address was incorrect (21st instead of 25th) but all else reflected the standard approach to Sunday services in most of the local churches. worship, prayer meetings, discussion classes, choir events, youth programs....A normal Sunday for generations of Oklahoma Methodists...including those at Wesley.
Samuel E. Betts served as Pastor for less than one year. In 1915 he transferred out of the Oklahoma M.E. Conference and dies in the early 1930's in Kansas City, Missouri.
Oklahoma City was rich in Methodist churches in 1912 - due to the conjunction of several strands of Methodism meeting in the growing city. In the same 1912 ads are listed:
First Methodist - 4th and Robinson, Dr. Curtis E. Mogg, pastor
St. John's Methodist, South - 12th and Geary, R.S. Satterfield, pastor.
St. Luke's Methodist Church, South -8th and Robinson, Robert E. Goodrich, pastor.
Epworth View Methodist -16th and McKinley, J.O. Peterson, pastor.
Methodist Tabernacle (M.E. North)- 2nd and McKinley, Robert Thompson, pastor.
First German Methodist - 8th and Lee, J.A. Klein, pastor.
Free Methodist - 1512 W. Linwood, G.M. Haddock, pastor
|Believed to be the NW 25 and Classen building after the move from first location, the "Sheep Shed"|