According to the US Federal Census for Oklahoma City from 1920-1940, Abbie N. Phillips was born about 1892 in Kansas. She married William Everett Flesher in 1913. She had two sons: Marion A. (1914) and Billy N. (1921), both born in Oklahoma. They lived at 501 NW 8th Street on the 1940 Census. Before coming to Oklahoma City, she had lived in Frederick, Oklahoma where she had taught a girls class at a local church there. In Oklahoma City she was a paid pianist for Wesley Methodist Church and at one time for the Oklahoma Christian Scientist Church in Oklahoma City. In 1922 she took over a Sunsay School class for girls and transformed it into an 8- member group of tightly connected people. She left Wesley in about 1934. She returned to Wesley in the early 1940's and stayed there for many years. A 1961 news article, "Mrs. Abbie Flesher to Entertain Club" indicated she was still musically involved. "Town Club will have its annual picnic...at the cabin of Mrs. Abbie Flesher, Twin Lakes on North MacArthur." (Oklahoman, July 27,1961,pg. 7). In a 1975 church history of Wesley she is pictured at the piano in a choir photograph.
"At the Organ" - Helen Sellers Scrapbook
"Billie, Mother, Marion" - Helen Sellers Scrapbook
A special "Friends of Wesley" group is made of individuals, organizations, and businesses who wish to support the historic preservation of the century old and historically significant Wesley Methodist Church (Wesley United Methodist Church) founded in 1910.
The inspiring windows dating to 1928 honored people significant to local Oklahoma City history but also to the history of Oklahoma Methodism.
The church founding and development was guided by lay people who were leaders in Oklahoma City development in real estate, banking, business, and education.
It stands as a rare remaining example of Methodist Churches in the English Gothic style and as work by a significant early architectural firm.
Donations may be sent to:
Church Treasurer Wesley United Methodist Church 1401 NW 25th Oklahoma City, Oklahoma